Spectrum Health Systems, Inc., a longtime not-for-profit organization dedicated to providing a comprehensive continuum of addiction treatment throughout Massachusetts, is donating $180,000 to 19 local foodbanks in the Commonwealth. Coinciding with the locations of Spectrum’s treatment centers, each food bank received between $5,000 – $10,000.
According to Feeding America, over one million people in Massachusetts struggle with hunger and food insecurity, 1 in 10 of them being children. Between 2018 and 2020, the hunger rate jumped up by 59% due to the COVID-19 pandemic and mass unemployment.
“Being a great neighbor is a large part of the Spectrum way,” said Kurt Isaacson, President and CEO of Spectrum Health Systems. “We’re grateful that each community where Spectrum resides has welcomed and supported us in our mission. After a tough year, we’re happy to help out our local food banks as they continue to feed local families and guide them through this challenging time.”
The food banks receiving the donations include:
- Berkshire Food Project, North Adams
- Berkshire Dream Center, Pittsfield
- Christian Center, Pittsfield
- People’s Pantry, Great Barrington
- Catholic Charities, Southbridge
- Ginny’s Helping Hands Inc., Leominster
- Our Father’s Table, Fitchburg
- Worcester County Food Bank, Worcester
- St. John’s Food For The Poor Program, Worcester
- The Mustard Seed Catholic Worker, Worcester
- The Daily Bread Food Pantry, Milford
- St. Vincent de Paul & St. Brigid Conference Food Pantry, Millbury
- Community Action Inc., Haverhill
- Salvation Army, Haverhill
- Saugus United Parish Food Pantry, Saugus
- Daniel’s Table, Framingham
- Braintree Community Food Pantry, Weymouth
- MHSA Development, Waltham
- Westborough Food Pantry, Westborough
For more information about Spectrum Health Systems and its mission, visit www.SpectrumHealthSystems.org.
About Spectrum Health Systems
Based in Worcester, Mass. and founded in 1969, Spectrum Health Systems, Inc. is a private, nonprofit substance use and mental health treatment provider. Spectrum offers the largest and most complete continuum of addiction treatment in New England — including inpatient detoxification, residential rehabilitation, outpatient services, medications for substance use disorder treatment and peer recovery support. Spectrum also offers inpatient detoxification and residential treatment for commercially insured and private pay clients through its subsidiary, The New England Recovery Center.